Thursday, July 25, 2013

Game Based Learning

For the first part of this assignment, I created a playlist on Game-Based Learning (GBL) in MentorMob.  I had fun learning the site (pretty easy), as well as finding different types of  resources to put in my playlist.  I focused on resources for teachers in secondary education, and started out with two infographics that give some background on the positive aspects of gaming, and the educational benefits to video games.  Then I listed two books by people who are at the forefront of game based learning and game design.  Next I included a video by one of the authors, on how we learn with video games.  I listed Ted Henning's blog, Brainmeld because I liked his list of video game teaching guides.  Next I added a couple of entries by Andrew Miller, an Edutopia blogger, about GBL ideas and tools.  I found a great article by Bill MacKenty, who wrote about using Minecraft with 7th graders.  I really liked how talked about the good things about the project, but also things he will do differently the next time.  I found this really neat website where students can design their own video game; and finally, I used an online game that teaches players how to be a good digital citizen (Thanks Melodie!)

If you click on the first box, it will take you to my playlist.  Scroll over to the far left, and side menu will pop up.  Hover your mouse over each entry to read a short summary, or click on it to explore the site.


Create your own Playlist on MentorMob!

No comments:

Post a Comment